5.11.08

and the pendulum swings...

after emailing my vote in yesterday morning (irish time) and staying up 'til 1:30 am over a glass of wine to watch the states turn colours on CNN.com with bill, i woke this morning happy to see that we have a new president-elect, and it's not john mccain.

herein lies the end of my political dialogue. i have thought a lot about this today and decided that, although i have oft been loathful of my americanness in the past, there is no reason why today should be any different from any other day. the fact is that the united states is a divided country, and i stand one one side of the divide. this year, and for the succeeding 4, we will have a president and a state who lead the way i want them to lead (more or less). but there is no less history in any election before this one, as the pendulum swings left, so shall it again swing right sometime down the road. from kennedy to nixon and ford to reagan to bush, to clinton to bush to obama. every four or eight years, the same pattern has repeated itself since april 30, 1789, when george washington took office as the first president of the united states of america.

phew. it feels good to know we're not really making history, doesn't it? anyway, i think obama's cool and his name is fun to say and he doesn't have a personal collection of oil companies and bombs. plus!


in other news, bill and i recently embarked on a new life together as roommates in a very small basement apartment in rathmines. it's going very well. we also went to brussels (and bruges), despite the fact that we are actually poor.

for more news on my career as a groovy travel writer and high powered intercultural trainer, check out my real website...

http://www.meganeaves.com (the "lowdown" tab gets you news)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I feel much the same way as you re: the political system. If my history degree has given me anything, it has fostered a growing sense of disillusionment and uneasiness about the two party system.

It all seems like the same brouhaha. I welcome Obama with a sense of trepidation but I am convinced that the U.S. needs a viable third party. Even with Obama's speeches of change, I'm not convinced. We shall see what transpires in the next four years.

Give some thought to coming down with Bill to Paris in early Feb. I'll give you dates in the next couple of weeks. I would love to see you!

Bill said...

Gobama! Definitely the best headline I saw on the whole thing haha. I watched his first news conference as president-elect on Friday, and found he was much more appealing when speaking naturally off the cuff as opposed to the history-change mantra. P.S. Hi Erin - you'll be glad to know that asking me visit Paris is like asking a cat to drink milk!

Anonymous said...

Bill,
That is wonderful news that you are keen to the idea of taking a jaunt to Paris. I hope it works out. My husband, Ed, and I will be buying our tickets this coming Wed. I'm pretty sure we'll be there from Feb. 3-11 but will let Megan know soon.

Regarding politics, at least now the world will not have to listen to the bumbling idiot, Bush. Thank goodness!